Sunday, April 16, 2006

Mazto Brie (rhymes with Pie)

It's Passover, my mom offers to MAIL me a box of matzos (I think she's worried my husband is goyifying me), and I'm feeling the fire to, er, cook Jewish. Enter stage right, matzo. Enter stage left, eggs. Put it all together and you've got the Passover favorite, Matzo Brie.

Really easy directions follow.

But first, I have to share my find of the day. I wanted to compare my Matzo Brie recipe to others online, and came across a description on the HORMEL website. Since when is Hormel the last word on Jewish cooking??? Here's what they have to say--I saw others make it this way too, but my recipe is from mom, much heartier, family tested and really frickin' good.

"A traditional Jewish breakfast or brunch food that is made by moistening broken pieces of matzo with hot water and then drying the Matzo before dipping it in egg batter. The matzo is then sauted in butter and served with sweet toppings, such as honey or syrup." -Hormel

MATZO BRIE, or FRIED MATZO...the low cholesterol version
(feeds 2 hungry people)

-3 pieces of matzo, broken into small pieces
-warm water to cover matzo
-1 egg
-1 egg white
-nutmeg, dash
-cinnamon, a few dashes
-salt, pinch
-canola oil, splash

Place the broken matzos in a mixing bowl and cover with warm water. When well-saturated, drain the water off (I usually use my hands to press it out). In a separate bowl, scramble eggs and mix in spices. Salt can be added at the end to taste if you prefer. Mix eggs into moist matzo and blend well. Lightly oil a large frying pan over medium/high heat. Drop matzo-egg mixture into frying pan and flatten it out to fit the pan. Cook on each side for about 4 minutes or until lightly brown or firm. Separate MB into 4 pieces with your spatula for easy flipping. Traditionally topped with sugar or jelly. I love it with yogurt, fresh fruit and real deal maple syrup.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home