Saturday, March 04, 2006

Fried Spam Sushi

I've always loved sushi for its light and healthy qualities, but when I saw fried spam sushi ($2.00) on the menu at Hukilau in Palo Alto I thought there must be something to it. Now SPAM isn't a favorite food of mine. In fact, I was a pretty devout vegetarian for 10 years, and have only been eating fish and poultry in my more recent past. Every now and then I'll dip into the more meaty territories, but almost exclusively for the sake of trying something amazingly unique or super-gourmet. I had sweetbread at my father-in-law's retirement party and tried caracoles in a Seville cafe that specialized in little snails, but SPAM???? Well, proof that I ordered it is in the photo, and proof that I tried it....you'll just have to trust me on this one. And it was really good!!


We washed down the surprisingly heavy Hawaiian meal that followed with a really great mango mojito (the bartender actually muddled the mint!) and a refreshing and way-too drinkable lychee martini.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home