Sunday, December 04, 2005

Smells like the holidays

My vision stinks and my hearing is on the fritz, but my nose is an olfactory factory. This may in part explain why I love food so much. If you're like me, and you love the good smells of the season, this is an easy way to perk up your nose and bring the holidays alive.

Just toss a teaspoon or so of mulling spices into a pot of water, bring to a quick boil, and then drop it down to simmer. If you don't have mulling spices, break up a cinnamon stick, throw in some whole cloves and allspice, and you're done. A warning is in order: it'll smell like apple cider and pumpkin pie, and make you hungry for both.

If you know the smells without a comestible reward will drive you nuts, replace the water with a cup of apple juice or 3/4 cup red wine and a splash of sweet vermouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home