Monday, October 03, 2005

Roasted Tomatoes


I discovered the Menlo Park Farmers Market this weekend, and came home with some great produce. While the market isn't huge, plenty of farms were represented. For lack of fridge space, and perhaps a more encyclopedic knowledge of cooking certain foods, I passed on the bok choy, pomegranates, and radishes. But I did steal away with green and yellow beans, yams, fuji apples, an assortment of tomatoes, garlic, arrugula and lettuce, and amazing emerald beaut plums. If you ever get the chance to taste the Emerald Beauts-do, don't question the urge! They are delicious and sweet, and apparently grow well in milder temps.

When I got all my goodies home I decided it was time I learned to roast some tomatoes. Never done it before. I found a simple recipe in my beloved "The Figs Table," an homage to spending two years in Boston. Todd English can get fancy pantsy, but not here. The only drawback, if there is one, is that you need to give yourself 3 hours to see the fruits of your labor. But maybe because there really is no labor you won't really mind. So throw 'em in the oven and then throw back some drinks with friends. I mixed my tomatoes into a yellow string bean and pesto side dish. Delish!

12 plum tomatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper

-Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
-Place tomatoes on a baking sheet and rub with the oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
-Roast until the tomatoes are shriveled and slightly darkened, about 3 hours.
-Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 4 days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home